TransManche Link Terminal

Isle of Grain


15th May 1991

With only a handful of concrete tunnel segments remaining on site, Class 33 Nos. 33051 "Shakespeare Cliff" and 33050 "Isle of Grain" attract the attention of two photographers prior to working the last full length segment train to Shakespeare Cliff. © David Morgan


15th May 1991

A view of the TML casting yard looking south, with Siding Nos. 1 and 2 in the foreground and showing the extensive storage areas served by numerous gantry cranes, where the concrete tunnel segments were held prior to being moved by rail to Shakespeare Cliff or a supplementary storage facility at Ashford Kimberly Sidings. Commencing in September 1987, the site was required to produce 442,755 concrete segments in 35 different sizes, all of which were eventually transported by rail services operating several times per day, 7 days a week, during the main period of tunnel construction. Actual casting of the tunnel segments to very fine tolerances was carried out in the four large buildings seen in the distance; these now form the only remaining part of the TML facilities, albeit they are used for other purposes. After clearance of the storage areas and sidings, the land was used for a while by the adjacent Thamesport to store bulk materials. However, it is now occupied by the gas fired Medway Power Station operated by Scottish & Southern Energy PLC. Visible in the left background is part of the aggregate terminal developed by Foster Yeoman on the strength of supply contracts signed with TML, whilst on the far right are some of the Thamesport container cranes. © David Morgan


15th May 1991

Class 33 Nos. 33051 "Shakespeare Cliff" and 33050 "Isle of Grain" are seen crossing the A228 Grain Road at Stoke Level Crossing with the 1100 (6Z87) Grain TML Sidings to Shakespeare Cliff Sidings, forming the final full length (24-wagon) tunnel segment train. © David Morgan