Kent Rail

Bulleid Light Pacific

West Country / Battle of Britain Class

 


34051

 

The most famous of all the Bulleid Pacifics? No. 34051 ''Winston Churchill'' is seen at Salisbury on 23rd May 1965, after arriving with a Stephenson Locomotive Society Special rail tour. It had brought ten coaches in from Birmingham Snow Hill via Oxford, Basingstoke, and Andover. It was about to be replaced by Merchant Navy No. 35017 ''Belgian Marine'', which took the train on to Exeter St David's. No. 34051 hauled the former Prime Minister's funeral train from Waterloo to Hanborough, Oxfordshire, on 30th January 1965. David Glasspool Collection

 


34051

 

No. 34051 is seen once again, this time backing out of London Waterloo in February 1965. It remains in the sparkling condition from when it hauled its namesake's funeral train. The shed plate on the smokebox door displays ''70E'', which was Salisbury (until 1962, this had been the shed code for Reading). No. 34051 was withdrawn in September of the same year and eventually became part of the collection held at the National Railway Museum. Cosmetically restored, it has not been steamed since withdrawal. David Glasspool Collection

 


34064

 

No. 34064 "Fighter Command" is seen at Waterloo on 30th September 1962, fronting "The Somerset & Dorset Rail Tour" organised by the "Locomotive Club of Great Britain". This ran down the South West Main Line as far as Lymington Junction, where it embarked on the "Castleman's Corkscrew" via Wimborne. At Broadstone, Dorset, No. 34064 was replaced on the tour by ex-LMS 7F No. 53808, which continued onto Evercreech Junction. The train also visited Burnham-on-Sea, Bath Green Park, and Bristol Temple Meads, eventually returning behind No. 1007 "County of Brecknock" into Paddington. As for No. 34064, this engine avoided being rebuilt, and was withdrawn (albeit with modified tender) from Salisbury in May 1966. It was scrapped in November of that year in Bridgend, South Wales. David Glasspool Collection

 


34066

 

The island platforms of Shortlands are in the background of this view from 11th April 1948, which shows No. 21C166 "Spitfire" on the "up" fast. The engine is wearing the original malachite green Southern Railway livery with "sunshine" lettering. The locomotive was under a year old, having been completed in the previous September. No. 21C166 was subsequently renumbered 34066 and was eventually withdrawn in September 1966 from the South Western Division. David Glasspool Collection

 


 

<< Previous  Next >>

 


Return to the Kent Rail Homepage or alternatively, check for Updates.

Website & Copyright information - Links - Contact the Webmaster


 

All content is copyright David Glasspool unless otherwise stated