26th November 1990
Class 33 Nos. 33029 & 33207, together with Class 73 Nos. 73003 & 73002, are stabled on the site of the former steam shed. The low brick viaduct beyond the locos carries the freight-only Ludgate Lines between Factory Junction and Longhedge Junction, whilst the buildings behind it once formed part of the LC&DR's Longhedge Works.
© David Morgan
This panorama of Stewarts Lane, taken from the "Chatham" approach to Victoria, includes a series of withdrawn diesels of Classes 33 and 37. On the far left, in the corner of the former engine shed, can just be seen Electro-Diesel Nos. 73131 and 73128, freshly out-shopped in the then new EW&S red and yellow colours. The two-track diesel shed comprises the same roof pattern as that produced by the SR for the engine shed in 1934. The viaduct in the background carries the South London Line between Wandsworth Road and Battersea Park stations.
© John Horton
22nd October 2004
This overview of the site, again from the "Chatham" approaches, illustrates that all engine shed entry lines have been
lifted and the site is now occupied by an aggregate/sand operation. David Morgan reports that this aggregate terminal was developed and operated by "Day Aggregates Ltd" in conjunction with their then landlord "English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd". The large concrete batching plant, situated roughly where the former diesel maintenance shed was located, is operated by "London Concrete Ltd", who are sub-tenants of "Day Aggregates Ltd".
© David Glasspool
25th February 2006
The triple-track electric locomotive depot, commissioned for the 1959 Kent Coast Electrification Scheme, is prominent on the left-hand side in this view taken from the "Chatham" approaches to Victoria. Beside it is the triple-track carriage washing shed, whilst on the far right is the edge of the engine shed. The large carriage shed is situated behind the viaduct in the background. An interesting locomotive collection is in evidence - from left to right: an ex-Gatwick Express Class 73, two Class 67s (the furthest being No. 67025), Class 66 No. 66127, and ex-LMS 5MT No. 45407 ''Lancashire Fusilier''.
© David Glasspool