The gravitation of
coal miners from Wales to East Kent called for a new housing estate to be built
at Aylesham. In connection with this, the Southern Railway opened a station
nearby to serve it, allowing miners to commute to Snowdown colliery, this of
which had already received an adjacent halt at the beginning of World War I.
Aylesham Halt came into use on 1st July 1928, comprising two platforms which
were of prefabricated concrete construction, each host to a quaint timber
waiting shelter. Being a halt, no footbridge was provided, but electric lighting
here was present, supported by the SR’s favoured concrete lampposts. This was a
well used halt throughout the 1930s, which heralded the construction of more
permanent looking buildings in this decade. On both platforms, the timber
shelters were retained, but single-storey pitched-roof brick structures appeared
to the north of them, comprising a ticket office and additional waiting
accommodation. A track foot crossing was still maintained despite this.
Unsurprisingly, no goods facilities were available at this station, but for most
of the 1930s, there was a pair of private sidings in use.
Indeed, there was the inevitable change. The first modifications were to the platforms in 1958: these were extended at their southern ends, utilising the same type of prefabricated concrete as the original sections, to accept twelve car electric formations. Despite receiving a faster service in either direction in June 1959, it was bad news for the station thereafter. In 1968 all structures were demolished and replaced by a dreary flat-roofed CLASP structure on the ‘’up’’ side, whilst waiting accommodation comprised glazed bus shelters. A footbridge also appeared shortly afterwards, but even this was plain to the point of ugliness.
Excepting the platforms, nothing of the original halt remains. The portacabin and footbridge
are both 1970s structures, whilst the bus shelters on the platforms date from the late 1980s,
having replaced similar abominations of 1970s-origin. This is a northward view from 12th
February 2005. David Glasspool
Return to Index
Return to the Kent Rail Homepage or alternatively, check for Updates.
Website & Copyright information - Links - Contact the Webmaster
All content is copyright © David Glasspool