Folkestone Junction


27th March 2017

Class 375 No. 375915 is seen stopped alongside the remains of the former "up" platform, shortly before departing for the sidings beside the portal of Martello Tunnel. On the right can just be seen part of the residential development which now occupies the former site of the original goods yard of 1843. © Maidstone Man


27th March 2017

No. 375915 is now seen stabled in the first of the three original sidings used to reverse trains between the main line and Harbour branch, which were electrified as part of the Kent Coast Electrification Scheme. On the far right can just be seen one of the trio of electrified rolling stock sidings laid in 1960, which are now derelict. Access to the latter would require a reversing manouevre onto the remains of the Harbour branch. © Maidstone Man


27th March 2017

This view towards Dover includes the 636-yard-long Martello Tunnel in the background, and the rolling stock and Harbour branch exchange sidings are again evident on the right. The sidings appear to be elevated compared to the main line, because the gradient of the latter is falling towards the tunnel. © Maidstone Man


27th March 2017

This view is looking towards the departing Harbour branch from those rolling stock sidings laid in 1960. The last charter trains ran to Folkestone Harbour in 2009 and, on 21st December 2012, Network Rail formally designated the line as "permanently out of use". © Maidstone Man


27th March 2017

The signal box (or "power box"), brought into use in February 1962, is viewed from the former rolling stock sidings. In front of the structure can be seen a surviving - alebit short - section of the former station's "down" platform. The latter, together with the earlier-seen surviving section of the former "up" platform, is known as "Folkestone East Staff Halt". © Maidstone Man